Poultry in Bangladesh: Key Facts & Figures
Bangladesh has a long historical record of poultry rearing under traditional backyard farming. At the beginning commercial poultry farming started on small scales and got poor rural women and unemployed youth involved and thus employed. It also involved some semi-urban and urban poultry raisers which helped to meet the growing demand of eggs and meat.
Since the year of 1990, a significant annual average growth rate in the commercial poultry has been achieved. The commercial poultry gained 15-20% annual average growth rate during this period. At present this industry has attained the capacity to fulfill the domestic demand of broiler, edible eggs and import substitute product like Parent Stocks & precooked poultry products.
Commercial Poultry Sector at a Glance:
- No. of GP Farms in Operation: 6
- Production of Parent Stock per Week: 60,000-70,000
- No. of Listed Breeder Farms:140
- Production of Broiler DOC: 11 Million/Week
- No. Registered of Feed Mills: 120
- Production of Industrial Feeds: 3.05 Million Tons
- No. of Commercial Farms: 1,00,000-1,20,000
- Production of Commercial Layer Eggs: 20 Million/Day
- Per Capita Broiler Meat Consumption is: 3.74 Kg
- Share of Broiler Meat out of Total Meat Consumption: 54%
- In 2020 Per Capita Poultry Meat Consumption is expected to be reached: 8.42 Kg
- In 2020 the Expected Contribution of Poultry Meat could Increase to: 78%
- In 2020 Total Energy Intake from Animal Sources could improve up to: 7.5%
Currently there are 6 grandparent farms producing about 60 -70 Thousand parent stocks per week and 140 parent stock farms producing 10.1 Million Day Old Chicks (DOC) per week. About 100,000 commercial farms produce over 15,000 MT of broiler meat and 2.4 Million eggs per week. Yet, in comparison to Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Indonesia and Malaysia, where chicken meat consumption is 5.5, 6.5, 9.9, and 39 kg per capita per year, respectively, and chicken egg consumption is 55, 65, 130, and 340 eggs per capita per year, Bangladeshis only consume 3.74 kg broiler meat and 45-50 eggs per capita per year. In 2014 about 120 registered commercial feed mills have collectively produced 3.05 Million commercial feeds.